Full Time Rector
St. Clement’s, Rancho Cordova
About us: St Clement’s is a dynamic church located at the crossroads of two major
thoroughfares in Rancho Cordova, California. We are ideally situated to be involved
in the larger community. We are a church that seeks to throw open its doors in
welcome to everyone, while also going out those same doors to serve others. We
share Bishop Curry’s vision of inclusion and equality for all people. We are from
many different cultural backgrounds and educational levels, and our lay vocations
cover a broad spectrum. Our mission statement is “Knowing God, Loving God,
Making God Known.”
Rancho Cordova itself is a city that has come into its own in recent years. It was
incorporated in 2003, and since that time it has flourished and grown into a
vibrant suburban center. It is one of the most diverse communities in California.
Housing prices are very affordable compared, for example, to the San Francisco
Bay Area. The schools are ranked in the top 90% in California. The natural beauty
of Rancho Cordova can best be enjoyed along the American River Bike Trail. Our
city has two large parks along this trail. We are close to Sacramento, the capital of
our state, and a cultural epicenter for our region. Cultural assets in Sacramento
include the SAFE Credit Union Convention Center with its varied venues for the
performing arts, the Crocker Art Museum, Old Town Sacramento and the
California Rail Museum, and the Golden One Center, where the Sacramento Kings
play. The Sacramento Philharmonic and Opera, the Sacramento Ballet, and the
Music Circus are all cultural treasures, along with many theatre groups. We are
less than a half day drive from California beaches or the beautiful Sierras. San
Francisco is also within driving distance.
Preface: The priest in an Episcopal Church occupies a unique position being, at
one and the same time, an employee, the chair of the vestry, a colleague in
ministry with all the baptized, and the pastor with responsibility for the spiritual
well–being of all the members of the parish. St. Clement’s is seeking a priest
who will partner with a self–motivated and hard–working congregation. The
strengths we most need from our priest include a talent for meaningful
preaching, administrative skills, and the ability to guide us in evangelistic
The priest will have primary responsibility for worship according to the Book of
Common Prayer. Included in this responsibility is worship for Sundays and
Holy Days, including coordination with the Music Director.
• Offer sermons each week, usually based on the lectionary readings for the day.
Invite other preachers, either clergy or lay, as appropriate.
• Coordinate and supervise the work of other participants in worship, including
readers, lay eucharistic ministers, choirs, musicians, and all others.
• Develop other worship opportunities and services as appropriate.
• Offer baptism, marriage, burial, confirmation, reaffirmation, including any
educational preparation for these sacraments.
• Spend regular time in prayer and in study of the Bible.
Christian Formation and Education
• Teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ by word and example.
• Oversee Christian Education in the parish, including education for young people
• Participate in continuing education programs for personal own growth and
development as appropriate.
Lead and support evangelism in the community
• Help us to reach out and welcome members of the larger community into the
church. Help us identify ways to do so.
• Model the hospitality of Christ by welcoming all sorts and conditions of
persons into the church.
• Equip the laity to proclaim, by word and example, the good news of God in Christ.
Serve as pastor of the parish
• Oversee the care of individuals and families in joy and sorrow, including
spiritual counseling as needed.
• Offer pastoral care in relation to birth, marriage, death, and moral injury.
• When appropriate, make referrals for counseling and other services.
• Equip the laity for extending pastoral care to one another.
• Supervision of volunteer staff persons and, when appropriate, making staff
contracts in consultation with the vestry.
• Oversight of the administration of the life of the church, in consultation with the vestry.
• Prepare for and chair vestry meetings, with assistance from vestry leaders.
Devote time to Self–Care
• Model good self–care by managing times of work and rest.
• Tend to the quality of personal spiritual life through retreats, days of
refreshment, spiritual direction, and other appropriate means.
Encourage the Church to serve the world outside of the local community
• Model concern and care for the needs of the world.
• Support and encourage our outreach ministries to the wider community.
• Open the church facilities for use by the larger community.
• Participate in the life and ministry of the Diocese of Northern California.
This is full time position. Salary begins at $67,000. Full medical and dental
benefits provided (clergy). Plus four weeks paid time off, two weeks
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and Office of Transitional Ministry
(OTM) profile to The Rev. Cn. Julie Wakelee, Canon to the Ordinary, Diocese
of Northern California, [email protected]
Our Priest and Vestry